Katy ISD will have two options for parents and students this August.
The district unveiled their reopening plan as a website, called “Smart Restart” for students, staff, faculty and parents to find information on how schools respond to the coronavirus pandemic.
Parents and students who are interested in Katy ISD’s online learning, Katy Virtual Academy, can make their choice between July 20 and August 5.
List of measures in place:
- Flexible learning alternatives – Two options are available: on-campus learning and ‘Katy Virtual Academy’ for online students.
- Schedule changes – A modified bell schedule will be in place at the start of the school year, to add time for cleaning and disinfection.
- Masks – Facial coverings are encouraged for grades Pre-K through 3rd grade, mandatory for 4th-12th grades on-campus. District staff and faculty will be required to wear facial coverings.
- Temperature checks – The district said temperature checks will be conducted for new enrollees and late arrivals.
- Social distancing – District staff will be monitoring students on social distancing protocols. Signage will be posted to encourage social distancing.
- Sanitization – Hand sanitizer stations will be available at every corner of all campuses. High-touch areas will also be cleaned multiple times of the day to ensure safety.
- PPE – Katy ISD cafeteria staff will be using PPE such as shields, masks, and gloves to serve food to children.
Measures not in place:
- Class size limits
Students who participate in Katy Virtual Academy can partictpate in UIL-cocurricular and extracurricular activities. Most courses may be offered virtually.
The district is still awaiting additional guidance from the TEA on other school activities.